Search This Blog

Friday, April 14, 2006

Ouch - Licensing a dog in Durham

Boy did I have a shock when I moved to Durham and got my first "bill" for licensing my dogs!

$75 per intact animal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me tell, you - people who admit they have an intact animal are not the ones who are causing the problems! Wow.

When I lived in Durham, 18 years ago, they had an ordinance that if you showed your dog and could give proof that it was a show dog - you had the same license fee as a neutered animal. Somehow that got washed under the carpet. After looking at the Animal Control website, I guess I don't even get a break if I am a senior and show dogs.

The
annual licensing fee in Durham County for a spayed or neutered dog or cat is $10.00 annually. The licensing fee for all in tact animals is $75.00 annually. If you have your animal spayed or neutered you will need to send in proof of such with your licensing form and send a payment of $10.00 and the status of your animal will be changed.

Senior citizens over the age of 65 are exempt from paying the Durham County licensing fee ONLY if their animal is spayed or neutered.

No comments: