Search This Blog

Friday, August 05, 2005

Sheep Herding

Last year I was introduced to sheep herding with one of my Belgian Tervuren. I had taken my dogs and gotten them instinct tested before, but that is basically a no-brainer for both the dog and the owner.

This time, my dog displayed talent. Oh, great - now what?

Next step was herding lessons at Dogwood Farms. Well I was an abysmal failure out there with the sheep, they really wanted to take my knee caps out and I really wanted rack of lamb! So I took the plunge and let another trainer, Tammy van Deusen, work my dog for me and my dog blossomed into a top ranking herding dog with Tammy's expertise!

Now that I am in Durham, I have found several really great facilities and trainers in the area:

Glenn Haven Farms, Durham

Cathy Hartley, Oxford

Claire Apple, Pittsboro

There is even a herding club, Triangle Herding Club!

Looks like I will be staying pretty busy.

No comments: